Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Josiah Loves Books

Everyday it surprises me how much Josiah loves to have a book read to him. If he's not rolling cars/trucks/trains/ambulances, he's reading. It's the most precious thing in the world to have the little guy come run up to and say "Bak. Cheeeese..." (He says Cheese for Please, and he says it really sweet and long. I've got to get a good one on video.) He brings you the book and either backs up and sits in your lap or parks himself on the floor next to you.


It always surprises me the length of books he'll sit still for. I have come to realize that it depends on the content of the book. For a train book, he'll sit still for a 50-page book, but for other subject matter he's not quite as patient.

We love going to the library and stocking up on books - almost too many! It's nice to have some variety. The pic below is just our library books. We even signed up for the summer reading program. Josiah goes and brings his reading list up to the librarian and pulls his puzzle pieces and finds his prize. It's really cute.

By the way, the way that Josiah learned the word "sweet" was because I shouted it very loudly when our first book arrived from the Dolly Parton Imagination Library. If you haven't signed your preschooler up, you should! You have to have an affiliate sponsor in your area, and they send you a free book every month until your child turns five. I've heard some people say they weren't fans of some of the books, but hey it's free!
Our first one was The Little Engine That Could, which was one of my favorites as a kid, thus my excitement at receiving it. Plus it's about a train, so you know Josiah likes it! His other favorites are Thomas the Train books, Clifford, anything with cars/trucks/trains/contruction vehicles or anything with dogs. I definitely seek out those topics at the library. My mommy favorites are I Love You Stinky Face, No Matter What, Read Aloud Bible Stories and Jesus Storybook Bible.

2 comments:

Pa Page said...

What a wonderful match. He loves to be read to and he has a family that really loves to read to children. It is sweet when he backs up to sit in your lap with his book.

Pa said...

I think I can, I think I can. A great story about life and it's challenges. This book has served our family well.