Saturday, August 09, 2008

On the Brink of Toddlerhood

Josiah is on the verge of being a full-blown tot, and I’m a little stunned. I knew it was coming, but it’s still very shocking. First, on Sunday, he took a few independent steps. Completely by accident, we still have to trick him into doing it, but he did it all the same. I started yelling for Jonathan and scared him, so he stopped. I couldn’t believe how big he looked doing it.

He’s also started saying “ball.” And he pushes his toy truck around the floor like a little boy.

That’s the precious side of standing at this precipice. The not-so-cute side happened on Monday night. We were at a cookout and one of his little friends, who is sixth months older than him, walked over and tried to grab the car he was playing with. I don’t remember all the details, but I think I tried to give her his cups, and then he wanted them too. He swiped for them and made a mad face at her.

I was caught so off-guard. He’s never shown possessiveness or selfishness before. I suppose this shouldn’t surprise me; his sinful nature was bound to reveal itself someday. I guess I was just hoping it would remain dormant or something. Or that sin would just rear it's ugly head in a polite way - ha! I also didn’t know how to discipline/correct it. There was a program going on so I couldn’t give a forceful “no” or say, “Josiah, share your toys.” Sharing is not a concept he understands yet, but I still need to attempt to teach it.

Then today, I was at a moms group and offered to hold a baby for one of the gals there for minute. Josiah started crying and got really clingy when he saw me holding the baby. Sweet in a way, but also showing that possessiveness. We're entering into new territory for sure.

No comments: