Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Exploring Downtown Boston

Rachel explaining to Josiah that we're going to take take a train to the city: "Choo-choo." Well, it was the subway, but it sure looks like a train to him.

We packed a picnic and ate in the Public Garden, but Josiah was much more interested in feeding the ducks and geese. I just love when he comes up to an animal and tries to say hello.

He got so tickled when they'd eat the crackers he fed them.

Josiah also enjoyed chasing the pigeons.


The public garden is the setting for the children's book Make Way for Ducklings. Rachel and Parker also gave him the book as part of his birthday present. I think we've read it everyday since. These are the swan boats from the book.

With Aunt Rachel and Uncle Parker

And the whole gang. I kept wishing the whole time that Jonathan was there with us.



There is a sculpture in the park of the duck family from Make Way for Ducklings. Here he's riding Mrs. Mallard.

And petting them.

And saying hello


Quacking at the ducks



Extending the hand of friendship to the water fowl



We walked around the city to lull Josiah into a nap. It worked!

While he snoozed, we went by Mike's Pastries. I got a cannoli; Parker go the gelato. I was honestly still thinking about that pastry days later. It was very good.

We headed back to South Hamilton, the town that hosts Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, where Parker attends and the reason they would leave the warm, sunny South. We went to their campus playground. Josiah made buddies with Jacks, who was very close to his age. I thought they were too cute pushing their trucks together. (I don't know why Blogger keeps turning my pictures the wrong way. grrr...)


Rachel just sent me a bunch of great pictures, but I'll have to post separately.

3 comments:

pa said...

Feeding the ducks, a family tradition.

Nana said...

I don't think that we enjoyed the Public Gardens nearly as much without Josiah. I love how he was talking to the geese/ducks!

The Hunts said...

make way for ducklings - my FAVE when i was little