Monday, March 09, 2009

Getting Crafty

I'm pretty proud of myself for finishing this fun project. I totally stole the idea from my friend Natalie, and she gave me some good pointers too. I think hers is still cuter. I am NOT very good at crafts, but this seemed doable, plus I'd really wanted to have a table and chairs for Josiah. Here's how it went down:

I mentioned to Mom that I wanted to try this project, and she found a table and chairs at a resale shop. It's already sanded down here, but you can make out some of the elaborate bunny scene detailed on it. The carrot legs are a nice touch.

Attempting to paint with a curious toddler around is a bad idea. Definitely a nap-time project.

I painted them the same color as our nursery. Getting better already.

I made several trips to Hobby Lobby to pick out scrapbook paper. I cut it down to smaller squares, so it would look more quilt-like. I agonized over the paper choices and spacing and colors. I even emailed my friend Laura for approval. I then used Modge Podge to adhere the squares. It was my first time using this magical product, so I was a little nervous. It was easy to use though.


I pointed it out to Josiah the morning after I finished as I was putting him in his high chair. He said "done" without touching his food because he wanted to see it. So I let him christen the table by eating breakfast on it.

It's in his room now, and he LOVES it. He's always going to it and sitting down. He loves pointing out the balls and trucks and stars and cars on the table.

By the way, Modge Podge needs a good 24 hours to dry completely. I nearly adhered that abacus to the table! I'm thinking about adding some light blue highlights to the chairs to make them stand out from the wall. We'll see...

I'd like to restate the fact that I really am not crafty. But if you're looking for some inspiration from someone who is, I suggest checking out my friend Sarah's Create blog. She's got some fantastic ideas.

6 comments:

Drew and Leslie said...

This looks awesome! Very impressed! Way to go my friend!:-)

Adam and Natalie said...

Adorable! One thing I like that you did and I didn't was to get paper with pictures on them. I can see how he would love to point them out! I totally saw that table in a catalog too recently. Not really my style either, but I did think the carrot legs was so creative! Great job!

Julie P said...

That looks great! :)

Sarah said...

Your table turned out so awesome! I'm inspired! Owen would love something like that! Are you in business!? ;) Thanks for the shout-out.

Grammy said...

I'm thinking you're going to have to stop saying you're not crafty---looking pretty crafty to me!! Love you and the table and chairs are DARLING!!!

reba said...

very cute!