Sunday, February 10, 2008

Geocache Attempt #1

Yesterday we took advantage of the pretty weather and Jonathan's day off to try geo-caching. If you don't know what it is, it's like a modern-day treasure hunt. People hide small trinkets somewhere public, yet hidden (hollowed tree stump, for example) and then post the longitude/latitude coordinates online. People then try and find the treasure using a GPS. Ours was a multi-part cache...

First we had to find out what year Harvey went home from this plaque.

Then Jonathan did the math (because if I did it, we'd end up in Mississippi) and plugged in the new coordinates.

Josiah helping Daddy.

"I think I see it Dad. Over there!"

After we found the next location, we looked around in every nook to no avail. We figured the treasure had been stolen by pirates. We found out when we got home that we hadn't printed out all the clue. We were actually looking for another number to plug in to find a new coordinate.

So I said, "OK, let's go home." And Jonathan said, "Don't you want to climb that hill first?"

Yes, that hill.
With Josiah in his arms.
I've learned to trust my husband's adventurous spirit, so up we went.


At the top of hill, where we found the Avondale Villa (nice, but not as glamorous as it sounds) and took a family picture. Later when we checked the clue again, it seemed the cache was probably at the top of that very hill, so we'll have to go back another time.

Hi Mom! Dad is so much fun!

But I'm getting a little sleepy from all this adventure...

I just liked this picture.

7 comments:

kristen said...

Looks like fun!

Way to have fun family time. :)

Anonymous said...

What a fun day for the family! Jonathan, if Josiah gets into EXTREME sports we're holding you responsible!!

Julie P said...

How cute! We are looking forward to meeting Josiah.

Jonathan said...

Does alpine skiing in Alaska count as an extreme sport? Cause that's what Josiah said he wanted to try next.

Anonymous said...

How do you get started with geo-caching? It sounds like so much fun.

Josiah said...

Rebekah,we just searched geocache on the web and found lots of free sites. There were a lot even for Birmingham.

Marty said...

That sounds fun!

I think you should send that picture to Coke! :)