Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Micah's Creepy Crawly Party


Since Micah is all about dirt these days and is willing to pick up any insect, I thought it would be fun to do a creepy-crawly party for him. Thanks to Pinterest, I got a lot of good ideas.

We made antennaes for everyone out of headbands and pipe cleaners.


















Then we went for a bug scavenger hunt. They had a checklist of different kinds of bugs to look for, and they hunted around to check them off the list.

Taking a break to enjoy the seesaw that Mimi and Granddaddy sent for Micah's gift.

Then they hunted for fake bugs in the sandbox for the younger kids.
 
The older kids in the mulch box :)

While hunting for the real bugs, Isaac found a real cicada shell. I thought it was a fake at first! We've never found one in our yard before.

Bug hunting

Fake bug hunting with his cute antennae
 

Cutie birthday boy

Dad-of-the-year Matt brought all four kids to the party.

This turned out to be a hit. I gave all the kids fly swatters, and released 50 balloons into the yard as "bees." Their job was to scoot all the bees into the hive. What kids doesn't want to whack a balloon with a stick? Of course, many of popped, but it was a blast.

Bees in the hive

The last activity we did was making a spider web. We just used streamer paper and had them use the swing set as the base. The older kids liked this the most; Josiah said it was his favorite activity.
 
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Melanie T said...

That is a really cute idea!! I miss you and your fun ideas! The slip and slide especially..... :-)

cyndy said...

Such a CUTE party theme!! Happy birthday, Micah!