Saturday, November 08, 2008

The Great Wall

On our way back, we went to Beijing a day early to do some site-seeing. Our tour guide said that this was the less crowded section of the wall. I'd hate to see the touristy place because this area was packed!

An apology for the pictures. My camera was having focusing issues, which I resolved when I was taking them, but I didn't think about it when I handed it off to other people. So pretty much all the pictures of Jonathan and I are out of focus. Pooh, pooh.

The Great Wall of Humanity. The crowds tapered off quite a bit by the time we reached the third of the fifth towers we hiked to. It was really fascinating to see all the different nationalities and hear the various languages spoken.

This hike was not for the faint of heart. It was both physically challenging and challenging to my nerves - I was clinging to those rails, when they were available! Jonathan of course had no issues with the height. Given all that, we still saw a variety of ages on this thing, from 2 to 80...seriously.


Two miles down, four thousand to go...





Although we marveled at the Chinese laborers who built the wall on the steep terrain with no modern equipment, we should be more amazed at the God who created those mountains than by mankind struggling to build a structure on them.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a little known fact that all of the material for The Great Wall came from The Great Home Depot.

It was actually the first attempt at stemming illegal immigration. The Mongols were trying to get all the good manufacturing jobs in China.

It became obsolete when Delta began flights to Shanghai.

It was preceded by
The Not-So-Great Chain Link Fence which has somehow slipped into historical obscurity.

Drew and Leslie said...

All these pictures are so great! Thanks for posting them and letting us in on some parts of your trip.

L-Mo said...

Oh Dad, have you been saving those jokes just for this post? :)
I love you!