Saturday, July 14, 2007

Georgia Visitors

My brother Parker, sister-in-law Rachel, cousin Ryan, and friend/cousin-in-law Susan came up from Atlanta for a day trip today. We had a great time exploring Birmingham and just hanging out. Jonathan, sadly, had to work all day, but we did swing by the hospital to visit. Everyone was very disappointed though because Jonathan came down without his lab coat or wearing a stethoscope or anything fun and doctor-ish (except his pager).





















We didn't get to do that much sightseeing because it was raining, but we did get to go see the Vulcan. Here is Parker posing like Vulcan (yes, I made him do it, but as his older sister, I retain the right to make him do silly things like this. Not that he really puts up that much of a fight).

The Vulcan is sort of the symbol of Birmingham. He overlooks the city from the top of Red Mountain, and being the Roman god of fire and forge, he symbolizes the city's steel-mining heritage. It's also the large cast-iron sculpture in the world, and it had a good view of the city from the top.

I don't think it's a good thing that the symbol of Birmingham is a pagan god, but golden calf or not, they should have at least put a loin cloth on his backside or something. I mean how does that side of Birmingham feel about constantly being mooned by this guy?

2 comments:

kristen said...

It was NOT a good day for sightseeing, but I do love Vulcan. One of my top desires for our next home is that we can see it from our street. Luckily, I have no desire to live in Homewood, so I won't be mooned!

shellyeve said...

hilarious... :)