I'm going registering tonight (with the help of sweet Danielle - what a blessing!) and probably this weekend too. Do any of mom-friends out there have any suggestions or products they recommend? I'm probably doing the regulars: Babies 'R' Us and Target.
6 comments:
Okay, I'll bite:
I'd be sure to register for a Boppy, Bumbo and a high chair with a removable, dishwasher safe tray (Fisher Price Healthy Choice, etc.)
You don't need everything on the suggestion list, for sure. Remember to consider how much space some things take up, and that you can borrow or find used things too if Baby Moe loves something you decided you didn't initially need.
Don't register for a sling because none of the ones they sell are very good :o( I wish they carried Ergos or something at least.
Ditto on the swaddling blanket, hold out for a miracle blanket. -- http://www.miracleblanket.com/
Happy registering!
Oh, I totally forgot! Make sure to register for a Bumbo! They are at Target too....
Okay the Bumbo rocks - but you won't HAVE to have it until 3 months or so. It also comes with a new play tray so add that to the list. An exersaucer is a must down the road. A pack n play too - I personally wish I would have chosen a pack n play crib lite or a co sleeper instead of my big one. Mine is super heavy to travel with.
As far as travel systems go - I picked mine based on pattern. I was neurotic about everything matching. I know now I had misplaced priortities. Get a travel system that ISN"T a quattro - they are big and heavy. I like the other Graco systems though. Dont invest A LOT of money in the infant carrier though. I put both of mine in covertable seats at 3 months because by the time they weighed fifteen pounds on their own there was no way I was going to lug the car seat around too. Register for a great convertable car seat. I love my Alpha Omega Elite/Eddie Bauer/Safety First they come with a lot of names but they are all the same seat. My kids were much happier in the car when we moved them into big seats. Plus this particular one can be adjusted for size without retreading the harness and isn't too hard to strip and wash. (Phillip pooped all over his at least three times during an inbetween diaper size phase. Ease of care became important!) Keep in mind that not all car seats and vehicles are compatible. They take up A LOT of room in the rear facing position. Don't be afraid to try it out in your car before you register.
If you're planning on nursing or if you think you might go ahead and register for nursing bras and shirts. You don't HAVE to use them, but they can make NIP (nursing in public) less intimidating.
As far as bottles. I have used a couple brands and I vote Avent as the overall winner. I love their bottles, nipples and breast pump and everything is interchangeable. Just don't put the top on too tight or it leaks. If you get an electric pump ( a must if you'll need to be away for any amount of time, but a hand one will do if not) make sure to invest in a car adapter so you can always use your car to pump in privacy. I pump when we travel and feed the bottle to them in the car seat. Works like a charm and we don't have stop on long trips.
Cloth diapers are worth their weight in gold to mop up anything that a baby can shoot out.
I agree with slings - if you're interested in baby wearing; search the internet. But for shopping, etc. I LOVE my Eddie Bauer carrier. Just try it on, make sure it has lower back support, and can fit a variety of sizes of babies in more than one position.
We used a crib side soother or mobile with lights to teach Phillip and Selah to sleep on their own. By about six months he learned to turn it on himself when he woke up at night to help him get back to sleep. She is already falling asleep to hers.
That's enough for now. :) Sorry. I get excited!
CA, you crack me up. Thanks for all the good advice guys!
I used my travel system together a grand total of 6 times between two children and sold it before we moved. I'd rather have a really nice umbrella stroller that tall people like Jonathan can comfortably push (like a MacLaren) and buy the carseat separately. You can always get a snap-n-go thing if you want, too. They are cheap and they always have them at secondhand stores as well. That way your infant seat can convert to a stroller for those first few months. A sling works great when you are out and about with an infant since they are so tiny and light.
As far as carseats go, we extend rear facing so Britax Marathon has been our choice. They are GREAT convertibles. I was pretty happy with the graco basic baby bucket for infants.
Hey LL-
I wish we hadn't bought a highchair because we have ended up using the travel booster chair with the snap on tray that you strap to the seat. They actually fit snugger especially for when they are little. Our nice wooden high chair is actually in the attic and we are going to buy another one of the booster chairs for our second little girl to use. They take up much less room in the kitchen.
And I didn't use my B'jorn much the first time around, but it's been my very best friend (other than my two little girls) this time around. So, I'd go ahead and register for one now in hopes that you'll get it.
The swaddler blanket (kiddopatomus) was such a lifesaver for us with a colicky baby and most babies will want to be swaddled for the first 3 months or so.
Definitley a jump seat - we have a johnny jump seat, but there are many out there on the market. They just love to exercise those legs around 5-6 months.
I am so glad that we got a universal carseat frame (Snap-n-go) instead of a whole system. And then we graduated to a nice umbrella stroller (chicco). Much lighter weight that way. Craigs list rocks by the way in buying used baby gear!
Oh, there's so much more - but those are the highlights that come to mind right now.
Thanks for the update!
-Lynn
Post a Comment