
The first two days I went and helped at Liberty Academy, an international school where the interns teach and most of the Reeves kids attend school. The bus was broken the first day, so we got picked up in a truck. Um, safety standards in the US are just a touch different than Haiti, eh? This was a totally common sight to see. When many of of the kindergarteners got picked up, it was by a hired driver on a motorcycle. Can you imagine any school in the US releasing a kindergartener to a non-parent ON A MOTORCYCLE?

Attempting a Bible story with the kindergarteners. It was fun being in there because they were basically doing the same curriculum as Josiah's class at home.

One of the Kindergarteners, Annie. She was really smart!

One of the biggest blessings of working at the school for me was meeting Chantale. She was the translator/helper in the Kindergarten class. I got to learn about her life (she taught herself English using the Bible and a dictionary) and about Haiti in general, including an interesting story about voodoo:
I asked her about her father, and she told me he was dead. I asked how he died, and she said because someone killed him. I thought someone must have come to his house and stabbed him, but she told me that someone at his job wanted him to quit. So this person sent her dad a letter and when he looked at in the mirror, it was black. A few days later he got a fever, became very sick and died. They believe he was voodoo cursed.



No comments:
Post a Comment