Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Starting to Understand Christmas

Josiah really loved our Advent calendar and had much more fun this year putting the pieces on the picture. So much so that there was normally a lengthy discussion each day about why we can only put one piece on at a time. A good lesson in patience... He also requested I read him part of the Christmas story from his real Bible each day.

I was telling him what was going to happen on Christmas Day: "First we'll read the Christmas story, and we might act out part of it. Then we'll go downstairs and open presents!"
Josiah interrupted, "And put Jesus on the calendar!"
Absolutely...

Overall, he understood so much of the Christmas story this year. When we pulled out his Little People Nativity, we went through the characters, and I brought out Joseph. I asked Josiah who it was. He said, "I don't know." I said, "who was Jesus Daddy?" He thought about it and answered, "God." He's a pretty good theologian for age three.

He also told everyone who asked him what Santa was bringing him for Christmas that "Santa is just make-believe." I didn't hear him say it to any children.

No comments: