I know Easter was several weeks ago, but I wanted to remember a few things about our celebration this year. I felt like this was the first Easter where Josiah could really start to understand aspects of the Resurrection story, so I really wanted implement some traditions that would help him understand more why we celebrate Easter.
I made my own Resurrection eggs this year. Each egg has a symbol inside that correlates to a Bible verse and part of the Easter story. I used my friend Sarah's tutorial here.
I did one or two each day leading up to Easter. I think this did help Josiah understand some concepts: the sharpness of thorns, the palms they laid before Jesus, the smell of perfume. But some parts were lost on him: What is a dime? What is a dice? Why can't I eat the cracker? He also looked a little disappointed and confused that there were no treats inside these eggs. Nonetheless, we'll steal be doing this in the future; it was a keeper overall.
I just had to laugh at myself about this one. These are Resurrection buns. You wrap biscuit or crescent roll dough around a marshmallow and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. The marshmallow represents Jesus (white=purity), the biscuit represents the tomb, and the cinnamon represents the spices used on Jesus' body.
I tried to explain each symbol to Josiah, but problem #1 was that Josiah loves helping me bake and taste-test along the way. So he was upset he couldn't eat all the tombs, the spices and Jesus. He had to go to time-out because he threw a tantrum during my explanation.
Finally the buns came out of the oven; it was time for the big lesson to be revealed. The marshmallow melts away while cooking and the tomb is empty! So I cracked open Josiah's bun and said "See the tomb is empty. Jesus isn't dead anymore; He's alive!" Josiah cried, "Where's my marshmallow? I want my marshmallow back. I put marshmallows in the other ones!"
Perhaps we'll try Resurrection cookies next year. I just had to laugh at myself and the whole situation. Good try, Mommy. Nice Effort.
I did one or two each day leading up to Easter. I think this did help Josiah understand some concepts: the sharpness of thorns, the palms they laid before Jesus, the smell of perfume. But some parts were lost on him: What is a dime? What is a dice? Why can't I eat the cracker? He also looked a little disappointed and confused that there were no treats inside these eggs. Nonetheless, we'll steal be doing this in the future; it was a keeper overall.
I tried to explain each symbol to Josiah, but problem #1 was that Josiah loves helping me bake and taste-test along the way. So he was upset he couldn't eat all the tombs, the spices and Jesus. He had to go to time-out because he threw a tantrum during my explanation.
Finally the buns came out of the oven; it was time for the big lesson to be revealed. The marshmallow melts away while cooking and the tomb is empty! So I cracked open Josiah's bun and said "See the tomb is empty. Jesus isn't dead anymore; He's alive!" Josiah cried, "Where's my marshmallow? I want my marshmallow back. I put marshmallows in the other ones!"
Perhaps we'll try Resurrection cookies next year. I just had to laugh at myself and the whole situation. Good try, Mommy. Nice Effort.
They had this super-cute craft where you put peanut butter on a bagel on a string and dip it in bird seed to make a bird feeder.
Josiah thought this was a much better use of his craft.
1 comment:
I had to laugh about the marshmallow...I actually scrapped our plans for those crescent "tombs" because I knew Elijah would be upset about the missing marshmallow.
Maybe in a few years, huh!?
Post a Comment