Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Catch Up and Recipes

I've been a little sluggish on blogging lately, but life has been a little crazy. Last week, we had an incredible week at the park with our street friends. I'm still trying to gather my thoughts and post something later, but it was life-changing. We served dinner and did devotions each night, and it was more amazing that we imagined it would be.

Also over the last month, we've had a lot of breakdowns: car, oven, A/C, our confidence in the DMV and our insurance company, and most recently Josiah's health. It started off as just conjunctivitis, which we assumed to be viral. Then he started breaking out in bumps, which I later determined to be hives, but which led us to call the pediatrician. She discovered he had a double ear infection and that his pink eye was bacterial, not viral. The infection was causing the hives. Jonathan also got some of his conjunctivitis and a nasty fever one night.

So that's what's up with us lately. I've been meaning to post some recipes that people have requested lately. This crockpot barbecue is a great, easy way to feed a crowd. My brother, the barbecue snob, would say that it's not authentic because it's not smoked. But it's still pretty tasty. Carrie-Anne gave the recipe to me at a wedding shower - what a great gift! Both of these recipes come in handy when you don't have an oven for a month.

Crock Pot BBQ
1 pork Boston butt
1 large yellow onion, peeled and quartered
4 cups of water
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

Season pork butt with salt, pepper and garlic (I use garlic powder). Place in water with onions and cook on high all day. Drain water, chop pook and onions; add favorite sauce one hour before serving.

No-Bake Chocolate Cookies
1/4 cups cocoa
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup margarine or butter
1/2 cup peanut butter
3 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt

Bring first 4 ingredients to a boil. Cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add remaining ingredients. Mix well and drop by teaspoon onto wax paper. Let cool.

4 comments:

Drew and Leslie said...

I'm sorry things have been crazy and Josiah has been so sick! Hopefully he'll be better soon. I love those no-bake cookies. My mom made them all the time when we were kids. We called them "Peanut Butter Delight." I haven't made them in forever! I should do it sometime!

The Hunts said...

Isn't it amazing how it doesn't just rain - it pours?! It's comforting there are other mommies out there treading water just like me though. I can't claim the recipe. It's really my daddy's. Hope Josiah is feeling better. Little Phillip has had "mystery crud" that the ped says will run its course. I feel like it's running its course all over me!
Love you!

Pa Page said...

Parker is technically right, Bar-B-Que is smoked meat. But it sounds like your butt roast would taste great and doesn't require smoking all day.

Pray that our little man gets better soon.

supermankates said...

Yum! Your recipes sound great! I hope all is getting better health wise with your family...it stinks when people are sick :( By the way, just so you know I've been updating my blog faithfully just for you :)